Saturday, March 27, 2004

Saturday in the Office...
My Current Mood: The current mood of crimsondove at www.imood.com


Yeah, I am at work on a Saturday. It was required for everyone to come in, since we have been behind. Well, let’s put it this way, I was caught up with 5 days worth of work in 3 days, so technically, I am not one minute behind schedule, but it’s nice to putter at my desk and get some things done I normally don’t have time for. My productivity was 198% this week. I doubled my required output. Yes, I rock. Worship at will.

The painting project at home is going well okay. Lindi is really frustrated with the bathroom, but I think we’ll get it together this Sunday. Sarah’s room is gorgeous – two walls of purple, purple runner lights, bead curtain and hundreds of glow-in-the-dark stars and planets really make it special. She is happy with it.

Tonight is the Breeze/Ricketts housewarming. I am really looking forward to it. It’s been since Christmas since the gang has gotten together.

Toni is a smart cookie. Just to put that out there. She explained her position on the recent fetal endangerment bill on her blog. I’ll report it here for ease:

’~``**~*~.’~`’~``**~*`*~~**~*~..’~``**~*’~``**~*’~``**~*’~``**~*

OK CONNIE, LET ME EXPLAIN...
This new law states that a fetus is a life form separate from the woman, even if the woman is 2 weeks pregnant or less, the reason Roe vs. Wade was passed is because it states that a fetus is still a part of the woman and she can choose to dispose of it at her discretion. If our republican Congress and Legislature can get this law to stand on the books, they will have a very strong precedent set that the fetus at any stage is an individual human life. If this law only applied to a fetus that could be viable outside the womb, I may not be afraid as much of it's implications, however, now they have a law that dictates that a human life begins the minute of conception. This will even help in the fight the religious right is fighting against stem cell research.

This bill is just the beginning. Kinda like the Utah Legislature a few years back passing legislation making it illegal for you to adopt Sarah if you wanted to, because it could harm children. And now they have an amendment to our constitution saying you and Lindi could never get married, it all kinda snowballs if you aren't careful. If you don't think they have an agenda, look again at history.


’~``**~*~.’~`’~``**~*`*~~**~*~..’~``**~*’~``**~*’~``**~*’~``**~*

I agree with her to an extent. Once you start down the road of taking little rights away slowly and steadily, it snowballs. My father has the same perspective. If you start controlling gun rights, then sooner or later, there will be no gun rights left. We agree – to a point.

If I were pregnant and someone beat me to within an inch of my life, and I ended up losing my baby, you would damn well bet that I would want that bastard to pay for killing my child. S/he committed a crime by assaulting me and, in effect, causing me to miscarry. That is two separate crimes, as far as I am concerned.

However, a doctor performing a legal abortion is NOT committing a crime.

But I see where Toni is going – if we are saying that a fetus is a human life at any point in the game, abortion rights are in jeopardy and precedent is being set. She uses the argument in relation to my inability to adopt Sarah, same sex unions, etc. The only problem with this theory is that I never had the right to adopt Sarah. I never have had claim to Sarah. Similarly, I have never had the right to marry Lindi. What we are fighting for is the right TO do those things, not protesting because they were taken away. Maybe there is a better example. I think I get her point, and it is very well taken.

I think there has GOT to be some sort of level ground here. I want to have a baby. For those with no desire to have children, or who have been able to conceive children easily, to tell me they understand the complete and total devastation that the loss of a pregancy would bring to my and Lindi’s life – and then to tell me that the intentional and criminal ending of a pregnancy carries no legal weight – well, that’s cruel. Chances are, I will only have the opporunity to become pregnant once. To me, that fetus is priceless and it's termination would be life-altering for me and my family, just as my own murder might be.

My right to carry my child and have it legally protected should be just as paramount as anyone else’s right to end their pregnancy if they so wish.

Federal crime? No, I don’t agree with that. I think it should be on the State level, just as murder would be.

Continue comment war.

And use the comments to be productive. Name calling just for name-calling’s sake will be deleted.

THANK YOU TONI. I am so glad you are my friend who has different viewpoints. It helps me to see all sides of a situation. You rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home