Thursday, May 20, 2004

Thanks, Stacey


I sat under an oak tree on a summer day, drinking iced tea and visiting with my mother.

"Don't forget your Girlfriends", Mother advised, clinking the ice cubes in her glass. “No matter how much you love your husband, you are still going to need Girlfriends. Remember to go places with them now and then; and do things with them, even when you don't necessarily want to, And remember that Girlfriends are not only friends, but sisters, daughters, mothers, grandmothers and other relatives too. Women supporting and relating to other women is our responsibility and our gift.”

"What a funny piece of advice," I thought. "Hadn't I just gotten married? Hadn't I just joined the couple-world? I was now a married woman, for goodness sake, not some young girl who needed friends!" But I listened to my Mom. I kept in contact with my Girlfriends and even found some new ones along the way.

As the years tumbled by, one after another, I gradually came to understand that Mom really knew what she was talking about! Here is what I know about Girlfriends:

Girlfriends bring casseroles and scrub your bathroom when you need help;
Girlfriends keep your children and your secrets.
Girlfriends give advice when you ask, sometimes you take it and sometimes you don't.
Girlfriends don't always tell you you're right, but they usually tell the truth.
Girlfriends still love you, even when they disagree with your choices.
Girlfriends laugh with you and don't need canned jokes to start the laughter.
Girlfriends pull you out of jams.
Girlfriends don't keep a calendar of who hosted the other's last big party, You are simply welcome. Girlfriends will celebrate for your son or daughter when they get married or have a baby, in whichever order that happens.
Girlfriends are there for you in an instant, and when the hard times come.
Girlfriends listen when you lose a job or a friend.
Girlfriends listen when your children break your heart.
Girlfriends listen when your parents' minds and bodies fail.

My daughter, sisters, family, and friends bless my life! When we began this adventure, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other.



So, I made it to work. Don’t ask me how because I don’t entirely know. Got a bagel, got a banana, I should be okay.

I was pleased with the results of American Idol last night. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Jasmine, but her talent simply didn’t exceed the level of the other two. I think if LaToya would have made it to the final three, like she should have, Diana would have gone home last night, and that would have made me sad. I think Fantasia’s voice, while not my favorite, is the most disciplined and ready for market. I haven’t cared for her much, until she sang, “What Are You Doing For the Rest of Your Life.” The woman made me cry, it was so beautiful. Diana’s voice is pure and young, she will definitely have a long career. I loved it when she sand “Don't Cry Out Loud” – and punched those long notes. That girl can SAAANG!

Personally, I can’t wait for LaToya’s, Fantasia’s and Diana’s CDs to come out. You know they are going to. There is no doubt in my mind.

I signed up for a Water Aerobics class twice a week up here at the U with my friend Vera… she is such a funny lady and can make even exercise seem like a night at the bar. I am actually excited. Maybe I can get some flexibility back and get in better shape for Alaska in August.

Well, back to work. Love to all. Share the love, leave a message.

Drink of the day:Diet Coke, coffee hurts my tummy
CD on the Playa: Bill's "Work #1"... some great stuff... NIN, Barenaked Ladies and more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home