Monday, August 09, 2004

I Need A Hug


If you've been following on my site you know that I've been having some issues with race lately. Here's the short story.

I went to this guy's house. I go in his room. There's a HUGE confederate flag. This is a problem for me. I'm black. I ask him about it. He says he's proud to be a southerner. I ask him what he means since he's from Arizona. He shrugs, we go on with our day. I go home. I stop hanging out with him. Why? Because I'm insulted and hurt and, frankly, pissed to high heaven.

I stopped hanging out with him. At first it was slow. I just wouldn't ride with him someplace or go by his house. Didn't invite him over. Now, if I know he'll be where all my friends are hanging out, I don't go. If he shows up and is going to stay, I leave. I'm cordial. I say hello, I'm not rude, but I don't mess with the dude.

My other friends in this circle, who are all, by the way, white (and one's jewish) don't understand why I can't just "suck it up" and complain (especially the jewish friend... go figure, I thought he'd have my back on this one).

So, I just got cursed out because I didn't want to go over to someone's house because he was there. Because I'm giving the guy a hard time by, well, staying my ass at my house so I don't call him an ignorant ass red-neck etc.

Give me a hug. Maybe two.
~T

Drink of the day: Anger
CD on the Playa: Malcom X's Plymoth Rock speach

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home