Friday, February 20, 2004

I Have a Headache
My Current Mood: The current mood of crimsondove at www.imood.com


... probably from lack of sleep. I have not been sleeping well this past week, mostly from the pain in my arse and legs. And when I do get comfortable, it's only temporary. That which does not kill us, right? Sitting at work certainly doesn't help, nor does the walk to work after finding a parking spot, usually a full block away. Normally, one would not consider a block-walk very bad. In my case, when you're not sure if your right leg is gonna give out on you, it can be very trying. It looks like I qualify for a handicapped parking sign. Whooppee....

Taking the day off of work was not detrimental to my workload, as I am catching up quickly. I was going to work overtime today, but if I can help it, I am going to plow through the work on my desk and get outta here on time. The money is nice, but I would rather be home.

Oh, I got another bonus - second one this year. $50. Niice.

Let me tell you the saga of getting prescriptions refilled. I am on pain medication, which we all know and love. Apparently, the new FDA standards also require a lot of bullshit must accompany any request for a med refill.

Day One: I called my doctors office on Tuesday morning, bright and early, at 8:30 am, and left a lengthy message with them, asking them to refill my meds. I told them that I had been seen by a surgeon for my herniation, that I would not be doing surgery, so they are now in charge of my pain management for the next year, the surgeon would not be following my care.

Over the course of the next 8 hours, I called the doctor's office 4 times, the pharmacy 3 times, and still did not get things straightened out. No one could find the pharmacy's faxes requesting refills. Then they couldn't find my chart. Then my doctor was "slammed" and hadn't had a chance to review my file. Blah, blah, blah... yadda, yadda.

Day Two: So, I called the doctors office on Wednesday and was able to speak with a receptionist with most of a brain. I explained to her the situation... again... and she suggested that I fax over my MRI results documenting the herniation for my file (they weren't there... amazing, I know) and on the cover sheet, explain everything my surgeon said. I did, and I addressed it to the Nurse Practitioner, not my doctor. I also explained that the last prescription I had was for 20 pills, which I ran out of on the 40th day, despite the fact that I can take up to 3 per day. Obviously, I am not a pain med addict.

My refills are now waiting for me at the pharmacy. Moral of the story? Always go to the woman behind the man, who really gets the shit done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home