Monday, October 04, 2004

Honour The Earth

Friday night after work, I rushed home and Lindi, Sarah and I went to see the Indigo Girls in concert at the U. It was an amazing concert, full of great music with a great message. The government, along with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, is trying to make the Goshute Indian tribe take Nuclear Waste and bury it on their land. Winona LaDuke, a very powerful spokeswoman, spoke to all of us before the concert, letting us know of the pending dump site and the fact that the indigenous people on the reservation do not want their land and water contaminated. As she so eloquently said, “If the military made it, it’s up to them to find a way to dispose of it. Not on our reservations... You will not contaminate our water... You will not contaminate our breast milk.” She was a very powerful speaker. The passed out cards to everyone in the audience to fill out to let Congress and the B.I.A. know that people who are not on the reservations oppose this waste being buried in our backyards, and during the concert, the Indigo Girls came out with baskets and collected them personally.

It was a fabulous concert – just the two of them and two guitars. Powerful acoustic performance. Most performers would shy away from that kind of intimacy, but it’s in that environment when you can truly see their talent and the way they can connect with an audience. It was well worth the money.

Saturday, my sister dropped by for a bit and Grace came over to fix my wounded computer. It is so bogged down with music and pictures, and apparently, cookies and trojans, that it took a while to get it all cleaned off. But Grace did a pretty good job getting things cleaned, now I just have to copy all my files to disk and I am sure my computer will run a lot better.

Sunday, Lindi and I visited my father for his birthday and met up with Sarah at Lindi’s parents for dinner that evening.

And here it is Monday morning and I am at work and I really don’t want to be. But what ya gonna do? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate my job. I just feel really burned out on everything lately. Really tired. I am sure it’s because I am getting over being sick. I hope it gets better soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home