Friday, August 12, 2005

On the last day of my previous job...

Happiness is... a venti Caramel Macchiato given to me as a gift (with a long hug) from the Starbucks guy in our building as a farewell present. Yeah, he made me cry.

So, here it is. My last day. I have boxes and bags and stuff to throw away and pack up. Many people are genuinely sad I am going, I was surprised. I guess I shouldn't be, I've made many friends here. Linz gave me a head shot photo with "To my biggest fan, Love Lindsay" on it, and I died laughing (along with some organic homegrown catnip... my babies love their Auntie Linz). Linz also brought me a book ("We're Just Like You - Only Prettier, Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle") and a beautiful picture frame.

I gave Lindsay a hanging Sun*Moon*Stars hanging charm to put in her cubicle so she will think of me when she's working. I gave Michelle my Vote for Pedro t-shirt and Angie my Vote for Pedro boondoggle. I gave Stacey (my Chocolate girlfriend) a pear candle. These are the people who I will remember and will remain friends after I leave. In fact, Stacey is giving her notice today to work for Coca-Cola and we will be right across the street from one another!

My co-worker Kelli gave me a package of Twinkies (my favorite cake treat). My team brought me a Snickers cake and a beautiful card at a surprise 'emergency meeting' yesterday. It is evident that I will be missed here, but I am grateful I didn't burn my bridges and could come back to work here if I wanted to.

Two ladies I work with (but not directly) were almost close to tears yesterday. One said, "But you're so good, you shouldn't go!" It kinda makes me feel guilty, but I think I need the change and I am happy about it. It feels clean, like I am starting a new life, which I am in a way. I know eBay will be good for me.

No, the money is not better. I have to wait 3 months for benefits. But when I do get benefits, they will be Domestic Partner Benefits. The stock options are incredible. Profit sharing. I will be appreciated. I will be valued. I will be happy.

They say, "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." For me, opportunity is a friend who cared enough to say, "Hey, come work with me!" I can't thank Chet enough.

So, here I am. I will miss the U of U and will probably pine for it now and again. But, as in all things, it's now time to move on.

Farewell, Utes!

PS: My boss just came to me and asked what my plans were. I told her I wanted to leave at noon, after lunch. She said that sounded great, but I could leave whenever my desk was cleaned off and my timesheet was approved. SWEET!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home